Tuesday, July 8

Ties That Bind

We went to see Hancock tonight and I was going to blog about it but decided it didn't merit its own entry. It wasn't bad. Just not good enough, imho anyway. It was a somewhat different concept, I give you that, but at the same time it was familiar in that it was still a Hollywood movie with rehashed themes. Oh well, not a bad way to spend a couple of hours with the hubby.

Right after the movie ended and we were getting up to leave, my bag started buzzing. I was about to answer my phone when the ringing stopped (voicemail). I looked at the screen and it said "withheld." I knew immediately it was my dad. He's been after me to edit some of his stuff (he's recently retired and is setting up his own consultancy which I think is absolutely fabulous) and I hadn't had a chance to look at them yet.

We weren't even out of the cinema yet when D's phone starts vibrating and, sure enough, it was my dad. His first words to me were, Why aren't you answering your phone? A continent away and he still manages to be demanding. I love that man so. I consulted with the consultant-to-be (my sister's words, not mine) and then it was my mom's turn to ask me advice on some of her stuff. Then, of course, my sisters had to get on the phone to me.

You've gotta love technology. Sometimes I feel like I haven't left Manila at all, what with my family just a phone call away.

But, then sometimes I feel like I'm a million miles away from them, especially on days I need a hug. That's when technology falls short cause nothing can take the place of a simple hug of a loved one.

I miss my family but what I'm trying to accept is, this is home. Melbourne is my home. At least for now.

And on that senti (pinoy speak for sentimental) note, I leave you with another Bamboo song (you have to bear with me, I'm obsessing about them at the moment). A cover of a Carole King classic. Fitting, eh?


So Far Away - Bamboo

1 comment:

chrismiss said...

Sniff sniff