Friday, July 4

Bizarre

Today I found this blog and thought it was utterly hilarious.



It's called Lost in Emoticons and it's about "Online conversations between a mother and her daughter. The mother is from China. The daughter was born in America. The language barrier gets wider by the day. Thank god for emoticons."

I was reading it at work during one of my rare lull moments and I was giggling like an idiot at my desk. Actually, trying my darndest to stifle the giggles. I was a proper professional office person after all.

Anyway, since I needed to share the laughter, I decided to send the link to my sister and to my friend K. They found the site as hilarious as I did. At the same time, I sent out the link to a few of my work colleagues for a Friday afternoon laugh. The bizarre thing is: NONE OF THEM GOT IT. It's not age, cos a couple of them were younger than me and one was older. It wasn't gender, cos 2 were females and 1 was male. The only thing they had in common was that they were all Aussies.

So, K and I were discussing why there was such a disparity of reaction to the site. It was an American blog which I found via a link in another American blog (who's writer found it amusing as well) so it wasn't an Asian thing. (K's Indonesian, btw.)

We decided to do a social experiment to test our theory that it probably just wasn't Aussie humour.

She sent the link to her Indonesian friend and her Aussie fiance.

This disproved our theory as her Indo friend didn't get it while her fiance, T, got it. T is a fair dinkum Aussie bloke (K, do correct me if I'm wrong with my perception).

Another theory we have, which was probably debunked by the same 2 mentioned above, is that it's a bicultural thing. You won't get it if you haven't lived a bicultural life.

Now, I'm really intrigued.

1 comment:

chrismiss said...

I know this, I read a few articles about biculturalism (not sure if that's the right word for it)...I'll send you the link when I find it again..