Tuesday, January 23

Going carless for a while

Well, the lease people emailed me yesterday about my car lease. This is what they said:

I regret to advise that we are unable to finance your vehicle based on your current visa conditions.

Once you have obtained a permanent visa, we will be able to assist with your vehicle purchase.

Regards

Crap. I think it's because they don't understand how my visa works, more than anything else. How utterly annoying.

I don't feel as bad about it (don't get me wrong, i'm still annoyed. but not as devastated as i thought i'd be) because:
  1. I like having D drive me around.
  2. It's still summer so catching a tram+bus home isn't too big a drama. As long as D can bring me to work in the mornings, it's all good. The ride home also affords me more reading time.
  3. I was having second thoughts about the manual drive in the car I was getting through the lease. I think automatic might be better for me at this stage.
  4. We can opt to buy a second hand car instead. Which would be way cheaper, meaning more money for travel!

D and I have been discussing the pros and cons of having 2 cars. It would cost heaps more to maintain an additional car (insurance, registration, parking, maintenance ++) but I miss being independent. I miss being able to drive around by myself.

I'll still get a car but I'll probably hold off for another couple of months. Will definitely start seriously looking before it gets too wintery cold though.

No comments: