Thursday, February 1

Birthday silliness


Since I didn't know what to get D for his birthday, I decided to give him 6 choices, out of which he had to choose 2.

They were:
  • Bookcase for his Vinyl Record Collection
  • Swim with Dolphins & Seals
  • Light Aircraft Hands on Training Flight
  • Gold Class Movie Date
  • Cruise and Penguin Watching for Two
  • Karting Racing Session for Two

Guess what he chose? Yup, the practical one, the bookcase (not that I minded that choice as I was rooting for that too). And he refused to choose another gift. Said the bookcase was enough. Probably found the other choices lame. Oh well, I tried. Personally, I would have loved flying a plane but to each his own. But he did mention he would rather jump out of a plane than fly one so I have to go find a skydiving adventure next.

He also said he didn't like being fussed on. And just wanted to keep his birthday simple and ordinary. This is totally contrary to how I like to celebrate birthdays but it is his birthday.

But I already arranged for a Bowling Night with his family tonight. I thought it would be a more interesting activity than a regular dinner. He said it was okay though. Hope so.

This is a paradigm shift for me. I love giving gifts and making a fuss on people I care about, especially during special occasions. I like using creativity to surpise people with non-regular gifts.

But, he likes things different. And what I'm figuring it out as I go along is that I need to give him what he wants and not what I think he'd want. Hmm... Marriage is hard work.

Happy birthday D!

2 comments:

chrismiss said...

I'll take the other five! Gimme gimme!

Manila Girl said...

Of course you would! And your birthday's coming up too! Come here and I'll give you the flight thingie...