Monday, February 12

Falling Apart

I've been having more ailments than usual lately. I think I'm starting to fall apart (when I say that, I have this morbid image of me just picking up body parts as they detach and fall down to the ground).

Here's a rundown of the current ones:

(1) Infected Eye: I've been wearing my glasses the past 2 days since I have a self-diagnosed eye infection. My right eye is puffy and looks yucky. I'm trying to heal it by willing it to get better and leaving it alone (i.e, no contact lenses. hence, the glasses). Since I haven't gone to the doctor, I have no further cure for it. Maybe I'll try the warm compress over the eye. I vaguely remember my mom prescribing it before.


(2) Injured Toe: We went to St Kilda festival yesterday. It was unbelievably windy (sort of like the typhoons we get in the Philippines but without the rain. With full sun and blue sky too) and combine that with Melbourne being dry (haven't had rain for ages), we were blasted with dirt, grit, sand, dry grass and everything else, while we were walking around. Seriously, it was so bad that we couldn't even talk much coz you'd get something flying into your mouth if you tried. Suffice it to say, it was not the best day for a festival.

We did manage to catch a few bands with my personal favourite being Tecoma (listen). But we only stayed for about 3 hours as the windy conditions were not really conducive to festivaling.

What's all this got to do with my injured big toe, you ask? Well, we were making our way back to the bus stop (took the bus to and from St Kilda as the roads were mostly blocked) when this gaggle of girls ran smack into me. They were too busy chatting (this one girl in particular) and just barrelled into poor me. This girl smashed the heel of her shoe on my poor left big toe. It hurt. Really bad. It even bled. Bitch. I didn't even get a proper look as I was too busy keeling over in pain. Yes, it really really hurt.

That did not help with my festival spirit at all. So now, I have a painful memento of the St Kilda festival. It still throbs and looks ugly. I am self-medicating it with betadine and papaw cream.

(3) Sore Throat/Snivelly: This is just your average feeling flu-y kind of sore throat. Been snivelly and sneezy since yesterday. I don't know whether it's an allergic reaction to all that dust flying around in the festival.

I am healing myself by taking vitamin C (well, I try anyway. I forgot to take one this morning) and willing myself to get better as we're planning a weekend away to Phillip Island. D wants to go fishing and he wants to drag me into it. I have managed a compromise wherein I asked Karima & Tyler to come along. I was thinking that when we get bored with the fishing, at least Karima and I can leave the boys to their own devices and do something else.

(4) Bruised knee and scratched foot: These ones are more than a week old. I got them from the Moonlight Cinema, which was really fun, by the way. The cinema and not how I got the bruise.

D and I got there early enough (6.30pm) but there were already heaps of people waiting outside the gates. We were able to secure a fairly good spot and reserve places for 6 more people (D's brother + girlfriend Jenita, Karima + boyfriend, Rob & Jenita's friend). After a lot of phone calls and scrambling about, we were able to get everybody in and seated.

We brought heaps of food and since the movie was scheduled to start at sundown, we kept ourselves busy eating. We also brought wine and beer. Since nobody wanted to drink my red wine (Karima brought white wine for her, Jen/friend didn't want to have any and the boys had their beer) I drank the whole bottle by myself. And therein was my downfall.

After the movie, it was really really dark (since it was held in the park, it wasn't like in the cinemas where you have the lights turned on) and there were heaps of people going out. We followed the herd and since I was wearing silly slippery slippers, I fell down when I skidded off this concrete thingie on the ground. The fact that I was tipsy did little to help my sense of balance. So I fell and scraped my foot and bruised my knee. The scrape is not healing as fast as I'd like as I keep forgetting to put papaw cream on it. The bruise is now a fading pink/brown color.

Btw, just to balance things out, I have another bruise on my right knee due to me bumping into furniture. But that's pretty much stock standard.

Another btw, it was the best Bond movie I've ever watched. I'm not sure how much the alcohol affected that view.


(5) Chronic back pain: That's been there forever and I think it'll stay there. My pilates/yoga plan has not taken off yet. I have been lazy.


Yes, I'm falling apart. I think you would agree heartily. It's a wonder that I can come to work at all...

1 comment:

Paula said...

Hey Val, hope you're feeling better.

A warm compress over the infected will help kill the bacteria that's giving you problems, that is, if bacteria is the problem.

Re pilates, yes, it will help your back, but you have to make sure you're doing the stuff correctly. Otherwise, it'll aggravate your back and hurt your neck. Yoga and pilates are similar, though, so if you learn how to do the yoga positions correctly, you should be fine even if you do pilates by yourself.