Tuesday, April 10

300: A Review


I loved this film. I didn't expect much from it, especially after Chrismiss blasted it. I just hoped it would be as pretty as it looked on the trailer.

I really liked it. It was bloody, gory and fun! Yes, the storyline was more fluff than anything else but what can you expect from a comic book? (Yes I know it's technically a graphic novel. Semantics.) I liked the cinematography and the CGI-ness of it. I read a review somewhere blasting the movie for being too faithful to Frank Miller's version. Um, yeah, that's what an adaptation is, right?

The half-naked men prancing about did help with the eye candy but, surprisingly, I got bored with them after a while. They sort of just blended with the scenery.

Another highlight was the Queen. She rocked! Especially the near-end bit. Won't spoil it for those who haven't watched it but that scene is worth looking out for.

However, I did get disappointed when I did more research on the history of the 300 Spartans (nothing to do with the movie at all). Turns out there were more than 300 that fought in the Battle of Thermopylae. Another 4,000 more that is. It would have been more impressive if there were really only 300.

Last note: I thought Xerxes was just a tad bit silly. Seriously, he looked more like a drag queen than a deluded demi-god.

I highly recommend watching this film on the big screen. Unless you have a really flash home entertainment system, the small screen would not do it justice.

3 comments:

chrismiss said...

You're silly.

Manila Girl said...

i've just found out Xerxes is the hot guy in Charlie's Angels 2. the surfer dude. yum.

Manila Girl said...

and no, i'm not silly