Wednesday, November 15

Book Reviews

I've been reading lots lately, thanks to our local library. I so love it.

Having grown up in a 3rd world country wherein public libraries do not exist (AT ALL), having one accessible to me is amazing. Everything's free!

Decided to review some noteworthy books:


Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt ("rogue" economist) and Stephen J. Dubner (journalist)

My sister asked me to reserve this book for her while she came over to visit but it arrived after she left. I'm grateful to her for introducing me to this book as I was "dazzled."

Hard to explain what the book's all about but basically it's Steven Levitt's extraordinary take on everyday stuff.
Really cool. Highly recommend it. *****

Griffin & Sabine Trilogy by Nick Bantock

I've been meaning to read this trilogy but wasn't quite willing to spend over $50 for them. So glad I could get them through the library.

What's it about? Here's excerpts from the official griffin and sabine website:

Griffin & Sabine This is the book that started the Nick Bantock obsession. The story is told through the strange and intriguing correspondence of Griffin and Sabine. Since each letter must be pulled from its own envelope, the reader has the delightful, forbidden sensation of reading someone else's mail. Griffin & Sabine is like no other illustrated novel, appealing to the poet and artist in everyone.

Sabine's Notebook For the thousands who finished Griffin & Sabine and asked, "What happened next?," came this second volume. Told in the same format as its predessor, Sabine's Notebook is filled with her delicately macabre drawings and notations, the notebook adds a darker element of visual intrigue to their complex and mysterious world.

The Golden Mean In this final volume of the best-selling trilogy the mystery of the two artists deepens and their questions grow more urgent. New obstacles (including a sinister intruder) test the tenacity of their passion, and in each letter or postcard, painting and prose are even more richly intertwined.
I loved the series. Interesting and very original. ****1/2*
I tried reading other Nick Bantock books, The Museum of Purgatory and The Egyptian Jukebox, but they didn't hold my fancy.
_____

Have to blog about the other books in another post as this one's getting too long...

No comments: